engsem2014

engsem2014

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Davis Vanderhorst: Paris


Paris, a city of lights, love and leisure is also a city in which etiquette is expected and required.

As the semester draws to a close, I have begun to reflect on the wide range of my travels and continually think of what it means to be a pilgrim, more specifically what have I learned in terms of respect for a culture that differs from my own.

Now I know that it is obvious to show respect to other cultures as pilgrim, but how often do we actually take time to see the benefits? I would have to say that amongst my thoughts on this subject, Paris would be back cover summary as to the guidance of cultural respect. Although I spent less than 48 hours in the magnificent city, I learned more in that time than I have over the course of the semester.

With such a wide range of cultural interactions thus far, I would be lying if I said that Paris does not live up to its stereotype of a city that judges dress, speech and etiquette even in a casual setting. As is probably most obvious, being a pilgrim it is generally expected that one must be respectful of any culture- but in Paris, being prim and proper is the culture. As I wove my way through the bustling streets with the Seine as my guide, I looked at those around me who were dressed to impress on a casual Saturday afternoon. My interactions in the bakeries across the city were warm and friendly as I tried my hand at feeble attempts of French. However, my effort was almost always recognized and thus rewarded with an experience unlike any I have had thus far.

Although Paris often brandishes a stigma of abrasiveness to travelers, when I put forth the effort to assimilate I was rewarded with a rich cultural experience that was warm and inviting. I would be told by locals as to what sights were really worth my time and was even given advice as to how to beat the crowds. Paris demand and its culture demands respect but it also one of the only cities in my travels that has given back so much more than I deserved. Paris has truly redefined my interpretation of what it means to be a respectful pilgrim abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment